I LOVE email marketing, but only when it’s done the right way. Effective email marketing is not actually complex, it’s simple. You need to:
- Build a decent, non spammy email target list that is opt in. Yep, opt in.
- Have a great subject line that gets the reader to open the email.
- Focus on one, or if you MUST, a few succinct topics – no one has time for 6 paragraphs.
- Clean design is essential. Hire someone to create a custom template if necessary.
- Have a strong, explicit Call to Action – otherwise, what’s the point?
Wee Email Marketing Tip of the Day:
Beginning any email with “Dear Valued Customer” is so transparently unauthentic it’s laughable. For one, many people on your email list are NOT your customers. Secondly, if you really valued your customer you’d know their name. It’s a lot more genuine to just say ‘Hello’ at the beginning if you don’t have the contact name.
Now, go kick your email marketing in the rear end.